Building the Open Source Design community
Design and good UX gets more and more important in open source projects. We need to work together, across projects, to deliver the best experience.
In the spirit of open source and sharing code, we should also share our design work. We need to gather, share ideas, exchange how we approach problems, what works and what doesn’t.
Some of the topics we should connect about and also build a body of knowledge for other projects:
- How to get started
- Unique challenges in open source as designers
- How to work together with developers
- Building a design team
- How to make it easy for others to get started
- Resources: tools, blogs, websites, …
And outreach we can do:
- Open Source conferences to attend and present at
- Cross-invitations to conferences of other projects
- Help projects which need design help
- Work with universities to get students working on open source design